A quality washing machine washes well, fits the dimensions of the bathroom and harmoniously blends in with the interior. Modern manufacturers offer a lot of similar-looking models with a different set of functions. Specialists told how to choose a quality device for washing.
How to choose an automatic washing machine? When choosing a suitable model, pay attention to such characteristics: type of loading, maximum allowable loading weight, dimensions, functionality, motor, protection
Type of download
On the CHOICE portal, Ashley Iredale advises: decide what type of boot you prefer. A distinction is made between these types:
- Front-loading. Devices gently wash clothes, use little water, effective when washing in warm water, differ in a variety of programs and higher temperature settings, are cheap, spin the laundry at high speeds, suitable for small rooms.
- Top loading. Washing machines with top loading, as a rule, are cheaper, weigh less and wash much faster than frontal models. But they use a lot more water, energy, detergent and are less delicate when washing. It is easier to lay clothes in them, take out unnecessary items. Combined washing machine with a dryer.
- This is a device with front loading and drying for laundry. These washers are expensive, more prone to breakdowns, and many take a long time to dry clothes. Some use more water to dry clothes than to wash them.
- Load weight The capacity of the washing machine determines the maximum amount of laundry that can be washed in one session. The online publication DNS Club recommends that when buying household appliances, you should focus on the weight of laundry to be washed once a week: a small family of 1-2 people – 3-4 kg; a family of 3-4 people – 5-6 kg; a large family of 5-6 people – 7-9 kg; 6-8 people – 9-12 kg. For washing bulky items such as bedding, you will need a washing machine that is not as roomy as it may seem. In most cases, the drum will be about half full. On average, an adequate load weight is 3.5 kilograms.
The capacity of the washing machine determines the maximum amount of laundry that can be washed in one session. The online publication DNS Club recommends that when buying household appliances, you should focus on the weight of laundry to be washed once a week:
- a small family of 1-2 people – 3-4 kg;
- a family of 3-4 people – 5-6 kg;
- a large family of 5-6 people – 7-9 kg;
- 6-8 people – 9-12 kg.
For washing bulky items such as bedding, you will need a washing machine that is not as roomy as it may seem. In most cases, the drum will be about half full. On average, an adequate load weight is 3.5 kilograms.
Usually, washing machines are bought with the intention of being installed in a certain place – in a cupboard, under the sink, in the space between the wall and the bathroom. The size of the washing machine determines whether it will fit in the designated place in the bathroom, how much space it will take up in the room, whether the size of the bathroom will allow you to open the door or the lid. Take the necessary measurements before going to the store. When planning the installation of the washing machine, take into account such data:
- most frontal devices have a width of about 60 cm, compact machines have a width of 45-55 cm, there are individual models up to 65 cm;
- most devices with top loading in the width of 40 cm;
- the average height of most machines – 85 cm;
- depth varies from 30 to 65 cm.
Particular attention should be paid to the depth and height when fully or partially embedded in the garniture or under the sink. When calculating the depth, you can make a mistake by forgetting about protruding elements (hose, water spigots). Add 3-5 cm to the dimensions.
Which washing machines are the most reliable? Here it is important to pay attention to the motor. There are washing machines with such types of motor: ordinary synchronous, inverter, direct drive. Let’s consider each type in detail:
- Synchronous ordinary. Simple, but not the most energy-efficient way to maintain the engine speed. It has special brushes that wear out, but this happens, as a rule, after 5-7 years of operation.
- Inverter motor is an asynchronous motor, the speed of which is set by an inverter. Such models are expensive, but their efficiency is higher. Compared to a conventional motor, an inverter motor saves about 20% of energy. There is no special difference in reliability between synchronous and inverter motor.
- Direct-drive. The most reliable motor, the performance of which is increased by reducing the number of rubbing parts. But the most breakable element of the machine is not the motor, but the drum mounting assembly. If in conventional devices it is enough to replace the drum or bearing, then in such devices it will be necessary to replace the motor, because of which the cost of repair will increase significantly.
Modern washing machines have a wide range of features. Here are the most important of them:
- steam treatment – effective removal of stains even without the use of special stain removers;
- number of washing programs – allows you to choose the right washing mode for a particular fabric;
- fabric detection system – selects the washing mode automatically;
- auto-dosing – optimizes washing by automatically selecting the amount of detergent in accordance with the selected program;
- crease removal – increases the efficiency of washing due to special modes of drum rotation;
- bubble system – bubbling system – bubbling of the washing machine.
Pay attention to the washing class. The higher it is, the greater the maximum spin speed and less wetness of the laundry after washing.
How to choose a washing machine with dryer? Pay attention to washing and drying machines. These are devices that combine two appliances. Suitable for such appliances is not suitable for everyone:
- Drying takes a lot of time and consumes more electricity.
- Some types of fabrics will have to steam after drying, otherwise it will be impossible to iron them.
- For drying you need to load less laundry than for conventional washing.
On C|net, Brian Bennett, Megan Wollerton write that modern washing machines offer more services than ever before, especially high-end appliances. Some models have built-in sinks, multiple wash tubs, a mobile app for remote control, and increased capacity. To the functional equipment of washing machines should be added protection systems:
- protection against leaks in case of breakage of the water intake system;
- partial protection – a float or a sensor in the tray, turning off the machine when water appears, or a protective valve on the hose, shutting off the water supply in case of an emergency situation;
- full protection includes partial protection and emergency mode (in case of an emergency situation, the water supply is stopped and pumping is started);
- protection against voltage surges, which protects the electrical equipment of the machine from breakdowns;
protection against water pumping; protection against water damage. Before purchasing any model, experts recommend familiarizing yourself with the full technical information about the device. When buying appliances, focus on your needs and tasks.